Recipe of the week 🙂
Rice murukku is one of the popular snack in South India especially in Kerala and TamilNadu during festivals. These are very addictive with a cup of tea. This is a deep fried Indian snack and made from rice flour. Murukku is a mixture of rice flour, urad dal and little spices, which makes the murukku a tasty one. It is made with idiyappam maker.
There are many varieties of murukku, the one I am sharing is basic, it’s a very old and standard recipe that is followed by many women. You know what’s the most happiest part for me in making murukku, when I get to shape the murukku with the murukku press. Making the perfect spirals is always fun to do 🙂 .
So let’s not waste our time any more and start with today’s recipe 🙂 .
Prep time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 1 Hour
Servings : 16 murukkus
Category : Snacks, Festival special
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala, Tamil Nadu
2 Cups rice flour
4 Tablespoons roasted urad dal flour
1 Teaspoon sesame seeds
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
Pinch of asafoetida
2 Tablespoons oil + oil for deep frying
Salt to taste
- Dry roast urad dal on a medium heat lightly golden. Cool and make a fine powder.
- In a bowl add in the rice flour, powdered urad dal, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, red chili powder, asafoetida, oil and needed salt. Mix it really well.
- Add water just enough to make a smooth dough.
- Heat oil in deep pot or kadai.
- Now, grease the mould lightly with oil and fill the mould with dough.
- Press the mould to make spirals either on butter paper, greased plastic sheet or on a greased banana leaf. This helps to easily transfer them into the hot oil. Prepare 6 to 7 for each batch based on how large the vessel is for deep frying.
- Drop a small ball of the dough into the oil to check if the oil is hot. If it sinks to the bottom of the vessel with a sizzle and come right up. The temperature of the oil is right for deep frying.
- Bring the flame to medium and place 5 to 6 of the prepared murukkus and deep fry to a golden brown shade.
- Drain them on a kitchen towel to remove excess oil. Once cool, store in airtight container.
Rough nutrition info per serving