In my childhood whenever we used to go shopping in Air force canteen I always used to pick a packet of Haldiram moong dal namkeen and aloo bhujiya. It is crunchy and tasty. So I decided to try it at home and it turned out to be pretty easy. The main thing is you have to soak the dal for a good 3 to 4 hours so it swells up nicely. I flavored this with chat masala and salt, you can add red chili powder as well.
So do try it next time and share your experience of cooking Moong dal Namkeen by commenting on this page below!
Prep time : 15 minutes
Soaking time : 4 hours
Cooking time : 5 to 6 minutes per batch
Total time : 20 minutes ( excluding soaking time)
Yields : 1 Box
Category : Snacks
Cuisine : Indian
2 Cups split yellow moong dal
Chaat masala powder to taste
Red chili to taste
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Firstly wash and soak moong dal in enough water for 4 hours.
- Drain off the water completely.
- Spread the soaked moong dal on a towel for 15 minutes to absorb water.
- Further scoop out little moong dal at a time in a net ladle and fry in batches.
- Fry it in hot oil stirring continuously, until moong dal turns crisp. You will hear a crisp sound when stirring.
- Drain off the moong dal over kitchen towel and rub them well to remove excess oil from fried moong dal.
- When moong dal is still hot add in the red chili powder, chaat masala and needed salt. Mix well making sure the spices are combined well.
- Cool it and store it in a airtight container.
Rough nutrition info per serving: