“Thoran” is a dry vegetable stir fry made in Kerala cuisine, it can prepared with any fresh vegetables. Thoran is basically finely chopped and cooked with shallots, green chilies, freshly grated coconut and mild spices.
Instead of cabbage you can use other veggies to prepare the dish. you can also check like Beans Stir – Fry / Beans Thoran, Pavakka Thoran / Bitter Gourd Thoran, Vendakka Thoran / Bhindi / Okra Stir – Fry With Coconut , Simple Kerala Style Kovakka Thoran/ Ivy Gourd Stir Fry With Coconut and Spinach Stir –Fry / Spinach Thoran / Keerai Poriyal.
Thoran is one of the many dishes in the Onam Sadya menu.
This is a very easy and quick stir fry which goes well with rice. I make cabbage thoran as a side dish whenever I make sambar with some steamed rice. And the combo is just delicious.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala
Calories per serving: 265, Fat: 22.7g, Saturated fat: 19.7g, Trans fat: 0g, Sodium:43mg, Sugars: 8.4g, Protein: 3.6g, Carbohydrates: 16.3g, Fiber: 7.7g
3 Cups Cabbage, finely chopped
3-4 Shallots-Pearl onions, finely chopped
2-3 Slit green chilies
1/3 Cup grated coconut
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
2 Dried red chilies
Salt to taste
- Finely chop cabbage.
- Grind grated coconut, shallots, green chilies and turmeric powder to a coarse form in a mixer.
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, then add dried red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add in the chopped cabbage and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Now, add in the ground mixture and salt. Sauté well and cook for another 5 minutes covering the lid on a low flame, stirring occasionally.
- Now, remove the lid and keep sautéing until all water evaporates completely and gets crunchy.
Serve with steamed rice and sambar.