These lentils have a sweet and nutty taste. Chana dal comes from black chickpeas or kala chana. I make variety of recipes with chana dal like Chana Dal, Lauki (Bottle Gourd) Chana Dal Curry and Palak Chana Dal | Spinach Dal. But most of the times I prepare this simple chana dal fry, actually I always forget to click photos of the dish after preparing but today I was fully prepared for it. 🙂
The flavors and taste of the dal fry is North Indian. Chana dal is best served with Jeera Rice, Vegetable Pulao, Masala Rice / Maharashtrian Masala Bhaat or even with Poori And Aloo Recipeand paratha.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 2- 3
Category : Main
Cuisine : North Indian
3/4 Cup chana dal
1 Small size tomato
1/2 Cup chopped onion
2 Green chilies slit
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Bay leaf
2-3 Dried red chili
Pinch of asafoetida
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Rinse the chana dal well in running water and soak the dal in enough water for an hour.
- Drain the lentils, transfer it to the pressure cooker along with turmeric powder and add 2 cups of water and stir well.
- On a medium heat pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or till the dal is soften well. Keep them aside.
- Finely chop tomatoes, onion, ginger and garlic. Slit green chilies.
- Now, in another pan heat oil and splutter cumin seeds. Add asafoetida, bay leaf and dried red chili.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chilies. Sauté for few minutes.
- Add onion and needed salt (adding salt at this time will help the onion to cook faster). Sauté until golden brown.
- Now, add tomatoes along with dry ingredients. Sauté till the tomatoes get cooked and oil starts to leave the side of the mixture.
- Pour the cooked chana along with the stock to the masala mixture.
- Stir and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes more. Garnish with cilantro.