Recipe of the week 🙂
Perfect for when you don’t know what to cook but want something comforting and delicious, fast. I made dinner in under 30 minutes by quickly cooking tomatoes, tossing in basil and spooning over pasta.
I always have tinned tomatoes and pasta in my pantry and it’s a short trip into the grocery shop to pick some fresh basil, so I love that I’m never too far away from eating this dish!
It’s just a comforting meal. Try out the tomato and basil penne pasta and I hope this recipe helps make dinner time a little faster, easier and more enjoyable for you this week! Enjoy!
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Total time : 20 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Pasta
Cuisine : Italian
200 Gms dry penne pasta
1(15oz.) can tomatoes
A bunch of fresh basil
3 Garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Small white onion, diced
1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 Teaspoon pepper
1/2 Teaspoon chili flakes
Salt to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the penne, according to the packet’s instructions.
- While waiting for the pasta to cook, dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Make the sauce in a separate non-stick saucepan by frying the onion, garlic and salt. Cook until softened, then add the tomatoes. Add half a cup of water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Drain the pasta from the boiling water (reserving a few tablespoons of the liquid) and add the pasta directly into the saucepan along with basil.
- Sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese on top and lightly toss until combined.
- Taste and adjust the salt, chili flakes and pepper as needed. Serve warm.