Recipe of the week 🙂
Soft, spongy and porous these ” Set Dosas ” are one of the hot selling dish in restaurants in Bangalore. Served with the usual pair of sambar and coconut chutney, they taste just awesome and one of my all time favorites. These soft dosas are called as set dosa as they are served in a set of 3 dosa per serving.
Usually set dosas are cooked on one side only. For proper and even cooking, I cook them on both sides. Set dosa also make for an excellent tiffin snack for kids, as they remain soft even after cooling down and remain soft even after 4 to 5 hours. Pack these for a picnic snack with a dosa podi or a dry peanut.
If you are looking for more dosa recipes then do check Masala Dosa Recipe, Davangere Benne Dosa or Butter Dosa Recipe, Davangere Benne Masala Dosa or Butter Masala dosa, Cheese Dosa Recipe, Mysore Masala Dosa Recipe, Egg Dosa / Mutta Dosa, Vegetable Spring Dosa, Tomato Dosa / Thakkali Dosai, Dosa Recipe etc.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4 – 5
Category : Breakfast
Cuisine : South Indian, Karnataka
2 Cups dosa rice
1/2 Cup whole urad dal
1 Cup poha / Flattened rice
1 Teaspoon methi/ fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste
- Soak rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds together for 5-6 hours.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add required salt and mix well with your hands. Let it ferment for another 7-8 hours or overnight.
- Add needed water to the dosa batter as the consistency of the batter.
- Heat non-stick tawa/cast-iron tawa, grease it with oil. Cut an onion into half and rub it all over the tawa.
- Pour a ladle of batter. Do not spread much as the batter will spread itself. Cover it with the lid and let it cook for few seconds. You will notice pores forming on the dosa.
- Flip it the other side and cook that side too. Remove it from tawa and repeat the process with rest of the batter.
- Proper fermentation of the batter is very important; otherwise dosa will not turn spongy and soft.