Butter dosa or benne dosa is a specialty from Davangere, Davangere is a city in central Karnataka. There are some dishes unique to Davangere and benne dosa is one of them. These benne dosa are not like the regular dosas. the taste as well as the texture is different. They are crisp and yet have a soft, light texture.
Ideally butter dosa is best had hot. so what are we waiting for lets begin….
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Breakfast, Brunch
Cuisine : South Indian, Karnataka
3 Cups dosa batter
Butter as required white or yellow
Oil as needed
Preparing the butter dosa:
- In a cast iron tawa, spread some oil. Cut an onion into half and rub it all over the tawa.
- Once the tawa is heated, pour a ladleful of batter in the center and spread slightly to a thick dosa.
- Cook on medium flame till the top has cooked.
- Once the top has cooked , add some butter on top.
- Spread the butter gently all over the dosa with spatula.
- Flip the dosa and cook for few seconds and then fold.
- Repeat making more on the hot tawa.
- Remove from tawa and serve hot with chutney and sambar.