Recipe of the week 🙂
Butter masala dosa is a famous South Indian tiffin snack, popular not only in India but outside India too.
The term “benne dosa” in English simply corresponds to “butter dosa”. It is prepared by addition of generous amount of butter while preparing the normal dosa and accompanied by coconut chutney and sambar.
Now-a-days, Wherever we go you see these Dosa hut and they have something special to offer masala dosa to tawa dosa to tawa idli to spring dosa and list goes on.. Everyone has something special to offer and also has its own recipe hence the taste is unusually different.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 35 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Breakfast, Brunch
Cuisine : South Indian, Karnataka
Ingredients needed for the karam podi:
2 Tablespoons roasted chana dal
1½ Tablespoons urad dal
1½ Tablespoons coriander seeds
5-6 Dried red chilies
5-6 Garlic cloves
1 Inch ginger
Lemon sized tamarind ball
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
2 Tablespoons oil
Salt to taste
Preparing the karam podi:
- Start by washing the curry leaves. Dry them using a tissue paper completely. Let the moisture dry up completely.
- Heat oil in a kadai and roast the dried red chilies until little brown. Keep them aside.
- Repeat the same process for urad dal, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and chana dal, also add in the curry leaves. Let them roast until nice aroma comes.
- Cool down all the ingredients then grind it to a coarse powder
- Add in the tamarind and grind again to form a coarse powder. Finally add the garlic pods and ginger, grind again. You could adjust salt at any point of time.
- Store in a airtight container for best results.
Preparing the masala dosa:
- Grease a non-stick or iron tawa, add few drops of oil. Cut an onion into half and rub it all over the tawa.
- Once the tawa is heated, pour a ladleful of batter in the center and spread it evenly in a circular shape. Ensure the dosa is not too thin. Add 1 tbsp. big cube of butter and 1½ tbsps. of karam podi. Spread that really well.
- Now, place the potato masala in the center and fold the dosa into half.
- Remove from tawa and serve hot with chutney and sambar.
Repeat making more on the hot tawa