Recipe of the week 🙂
Gobi manchurian is a delicious dry version starter made with cauliflower from the Indo Chinese cuisine. Cauliflower is deep fried and tossed in sweet, sour and hot manchurian sauce.
It is fairly easy to prepare, this gobi manchurian is not spicy like the restaurant. If you want, you can add more ginger, garlic and green chilies and increase the spices and heat in the dish.
There are dry and gravy version of manchurian. Today, I am sharing the dry version, but the gravy version is equally tasty.
This is usually served as a starter or appetizer and also goes great as a side with fried rice or noodles too.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Appetizer
Cuisine : Indo Chinese
20-25 Pieces of cauliflower florets
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
For the batter:
1/2 Cup all purpose flour
1/4 Cup corn flour
1/2 Teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 Teaspoon pepper powder
1 Teaspoon soya sauce
Salt to taste
For the sauce:
1 Medium sized onion
3 Spring onions with greens
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic
2-3 Green chilies
2 Tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 Teaspoon red chili sauce
1 Tablespoon soya sauce
1 Teaspoon vinegar
1/4 Teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon corn flour
1/2 Cup of water for diluting corn flour
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. The florets should not be too big, it should be medium.
- Bring enough water to a boil in a bowl. When the water starts boiling, add turmeric powder, mix well. To this add the cauliflower florets and boil for 2 – 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, turn off the flame, drain the excess water and pat it dry with a kitchen towel.
- Finely chop onion, green chilies, garlic, ginger and spring onion greens.
Preparation of batter:
- Add all the ingredients all purpose flour, corn flour, red chili powder, soya sauce, pepper powder, ginger and garlic paste and salt, given under the heading “for batter” into a bowl. Add water little by little and make a smooth paste of flowing consistency.
- Dip the cauliflower florets in the batter so that it is well coated on all the sides, then deep fry them until golden brown. Drain the oil and spread them on a paper towel.
Preparation of sauce and gravy:
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough add onion, sauté well on high flame until onion turns golden brown. Add ginger, garlic, green chilies and sauté again.
- Add red chili sauce, tomato ketchup, soya sauce, sugar and salt. Add vinegar and mix well. Mix corn starch with 3 tablespoons of water and add it to the pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the sauce starts thickening.
- Add the fried cauliflower pieces, mix well so that the sauce gets coated well on the cauliflower pieces. Toss well on high flame for 1- 2 minutes.
- Finally garnish with chopped spring onion greens. Serve gobi manchurian hot with tomato sauce.