I love soups especially during winters, it’s too comforting to sip from a bowl of piping hot soup in cold winters. It’s not that you enjoy soups only on winters or in rainy seasons, you can also enjoy soups on summer.
Spinach soup is a good way to include healthy greens in your diet. I do make lot of spinach-based dishes, but not everyone likes the taste of spinach. We are all picky eaters.
To prepare this soup, spinach is first cooked with onion and garlic, cooked mixture is then pureed, and spinach puree mixture is then cooked with milk and lastly seasoned with black pepper powder.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 35 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Soup
Cuisine : Comfort food
2 Cups spinach, roughly chopped
1 Small onion
2-3 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 Bay leaf
1/2 Cup milk
3-4 Whole black peppercorns
1 Teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
1 Tablespoon oil
2 Cups water
Salt to taste
Wash spinach and discard the thick stem. Chop the leaves and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté garlic for few seconds.
- Add in the bay leaf, onion and black peppercorns. Sauté continuously until onion is light brown.
- Add spinach and salt, sauté for few more seconds.
- Add water, stir to mix and cook until it comes to boil. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool down.
- Discard the bay leaf and strain the water (reserve that water). Blend the spinach mixture to a puree.
- Mix the blended spinach with the remaining strained water in a same pot and simmer for a minute.
- Now, add milk and stir well to mix. Bring it to boil and sprinkle some crushed black peppercorns.
Serve piping hot and enjoy sipping hot soup in chilling winter.