This recipe is an easy and light tomato soup spiced with Indian spices. It is minimally spiced, light and goes well as a starter soup.
To make tomato shorba always use tomatoes, which are ripe and not too sour. If the tomatoes are too sour, then the shorba will also become sour. Tomatoes not just taste wonderful but they are highly nutritious and a wonderful addition for anybody’s diet. One can possibly enjoy this soup for lunch with a delicious salad.
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Soup
Cuisine : Comfort food
4 Medium tomatoes roughly chopped
3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Inch ginger piece
2-3 Green chilies
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon crushed coriander seeds
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Bay leaf
1 Inch cinnamon stick
1 Tablespoon oil
1 Teaspoon ghee
Few mint leaves
2 Cups water
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a medium pot; add in the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, peppercorns, cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds and turmeric powder. Sauté for few minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, green chilies, mint leaves, coriander stalk, tomatoes and salt. Add water cover it with the lid and on a medium heat simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain it in a strainer and boil again for 2-3 minutes. (Add sugar if required)
- Now to prepare the tadka, in small pot heat ghee add in the remaining cumin seeds, chopped garlic and chopped cilantro. Switch off the flame.
- Pour it over the shorba. Serve tomato shorba for lunch or enjoy with salad.