Recipe of the week 🙂
This is a delicious Indian rice dish, which is often reserved for very special occasions such as parties or any get together. Chicken Biryani is that recipe of delight which when cooked perfectly can turn into a dish par excellence. All food lovers love the dish across the world.
There are many different kinds of Biryani, all specific to various regions, each with their own ingredients and cooking method variations.
In this recipe, I skipped cooking the Biryani curry as I already have last night’s curry which I can use. All that’s left is boiling some basmati rice, frying onions and simply assembling the Biryani. If you like your Biryani HOT, you have the option to add red chili powder to your leftover curry.
All in all, this recipe is definitely one you should have on standby for those busy days. Sometimes, I’ll cook extra curry so I have some for this biryani the next day.
I enjoyed my weekend with delicious chicken biryani 🙂 … how about you?? Make this simple and delicious biryani dish and enjoy your weekend as I did 🙂
Prep time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 1 Hour
Servings : 2
Category : Rice dish, Biryani
Cuisine : Indian
Leftover chicken curry (I had around 250 gms)
For ghee rice
500 Gms basmati rice
1 Small sliced onion
1 Tablespoon ginger, chopped
1 Bay leaf
2 Inch cinnamon stick
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 Cup ghee
Salt to taste
2 Tablespoons thinly sliced fried onion
2 Tablespoons cashew and raisins
1 Tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves
1 Tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Take leftover chicken out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature.
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cardamom, cloves, bay Leaves, cinnamon, cumin seeds and ginger. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add onion and salt, sauté until translucent.
- Add in the soaked basmati rice to it and fry well. Pour 3 Cups of boiling water to it. Cook on low flame, till it is 80% done.
- In a pan heat 1 tsp. of ghee and add cashew and raisins fry till golden. Keep it aside.
- In a same pan add 2 tbsps. of thinly sliced onion and fry till golden to make the barista.
- Now comes the layering part. Begin with half of the curry. Then add half the rice, then garnish with half of the garnishing ingredients also add ghee on top. Repeat this layer a second time.
- Cover the pot with an airtight lid and cook for 10-15 minutes on a low flame. Turn off the flame and allow it to rest for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot immediately with a side of raita and salad.