Recipe of the week 🙂
Paneer biryani is mildly spiced and delicious and perfect one pot meal 🙂
I was going through my photos and then realized I haven’t posted paneer biryani yet. So, without wasting any of my time posted today. I have already posted Matar Paneer Pulao you can check it in my previous post.
You can use any readymade garam masala powder or biryani powder. Paneer biryani recipe is cooked with marinated cottage cheese (paneer) with capsicum and onions. I love paneer biryani because of the soft and juicy paneer cubes hidden within the biryani rice.
For my other lunch or dinner recipes, which I have posted in my blog Coconut rice, Methi Rice / Fenugreek Rice, Ivy Gourd Rice / Tendli Rice / Kovakka Rice, Vegetable Brown Rice Pulao Using Maggi Masala, Vegetable Pulao, Vegetable Fried Rice, Kala Chana (Black Chickpea) Brown Rice Pulao, Egg Fried Rice etc.
Prep time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 1 hour
Servings : 2
Category : Rice dish, Biryani
Cuisine : Indian
For paneer marination:
10- 15 Paneer 1 inch cubes
1 Cup yogurt
1 Teaspoon ginger and garlic paste
1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 Green or red bell pepper, cubed
1/2 Onion, cubed
Salt to taste
1 Bay leaf
2 Inch cinnamon stick
2-3 Tablespoons ghee
For cooking rice:
1 Cup basmati rice, soaked for 15 minutes
1 Cup water
Salt to taste
Saffron, a few strands
2 Tablespoons fried onion
1/2 Cup finely chopped mint leaves
1/2 Cup finely chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, take 1 cup of yogurt. Add ginger- garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and salt. Whisk well.
- Add cubed paneer, bell pepper and onion. Mix gently and keep aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add 2 tbsps. of onion and fry till golden to make the barista.
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee and add in the spices like cardamoms, cloves, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add marinated paneer to the cooker and even them out.
- Now, add soaked rice and spread evenly over marinated paneer.
- Add 1-cup water and level out the rice. Sprinkle cilantro, mint leaves and fried onion over it.
- Add saffron milk pouring uniformly. (Soak pinch of saffron stands in 3 tbsp. of warm milk)
- Cover the cooker, keep the flame medium to low and wait for the first whistle.
- Once the pressure settles down, open the lid and serve the paneer biryani with simple raita.