The pista burfi recipe is delicious Indian pistachio fudge. I have prepared this recipe with the goodness of pistachios and ricotta cheese. The addition of cardamom powder makes this mithai truly delicious. Pista burfi has a mild nutty flavor and attractive color, both of which make it very tempting.
Prepare pista burfi for festivals and even when you have guests at home. These sweets are heavenly I would say, and Burfi is my favorite. So we hope you try this recipe and enjoy it just as much as we did 🙂
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 40 minutes
Total time : 50 minutes
Servings : 20 Fudge or burfi
Category : Dessert
Cuisine : Indian
2 Cups ricotta cheese
1/2 Cup shelled unsalted pistachios/pista
1 Cup milk powder
1 Cup sugar
5-6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 Teaspoon cardamom powder
2-3 drops of green food coloring (optional)
- Carefully sort the shelled pista – ensure that there are no bad ones or broken pieces of shell remaining.
- Transfer the pista into a dry grinding jar and pulse for a few seconds at a time – until the pista turns into a crumbly powder.
- Heat butter in a non-stick pan on low to medium heat.
- Add ricotta cheese and stir constantly. The cheese would first loosen up and then the liquid starts evaporating.
- Once the cheese gets its texture, add in the sugar and stir constantly on medium flame and also make sure the consistency is watery and also there not be any lumps in the mixture.
- Once the mixture starts to boil its time to add milk powder. Combine altogether and add in the cardamom powder, pistachio powder and food coloring,
- Now, let this mixture cook for about 15 to 20 minutes making sure you stir it now and then till the mixture has become thick and is leaving the sides of the pan.
- Apply little butter on the glass container/bake ware and transfer the burfi to the container.
- Apply little butter and flatten the burfi using a spatula or spoon.
- Garnish it with halved pistachios.
- Cover it and refrigerate for 1 hr. It can be sliced into desired shapes.