Soya chunks also called as meal maker or soya nuggets are used widely in Indian food, as they are considered healthy, low in fat, high in protein and other nutrients.
You can make a variety of dishes with it. They have the tendency to absorb any flavor that it is cooked with. The vegetarian dish is a great alternative to chicken, thanks to its high protein content and healthy properties.
This gravy pairs up perfect so well not only with hot steamed rice but also with parathas.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 45 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : Indian
1 Cup soya chunks
1/2 Cup chopped onion
1 Medium sized chopped tomato
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic
5-6 Cashew nuts
1 Tablespoon red chili powder
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 Teaspoon garam masala
1/2 Teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Bay leaf
Oil as needed
Salt to taste
- Bring 3-4 cups water to a boil, switch off the stove. Add soya chunks and keep it covered in hot water till they soften.
- Discard the water and squeeze off the water. Rinse them in cold water and repeat squeezing off the excess water.
- In nonstick pan heat oil, add soya chunks, stir and fry for 2 minutes on medium flame. Switch off the flame and take out the fried soya chunks from the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same non-stick pan heat oil, add in the chopped onion, ginger, garlic, cashew nuts and salt. Sauté until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, cook until mushy. Once done turn off the flame and allow it cool down.
- Now, blend the mixture in a blending jar to a smooth paste (do not add water).
- To the same pan heat oil, splutter cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Add in the blended mixture along with dry ingredients turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Cook well until the raw flavor goes.
- Add in the fried soya chunks and mix well. Add 1-cup water mix well, cook covered till the soya chunks gets incorporated with the gravy well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with steamed rice or parathas.