Recipe of the week 🙂
Coconut rice is an easy, delicious accompaniment to spicy curries and dishes. An aroma of curry leaves, urad dal and coconut makes the rice flavorful. The dish can be prepared in jiffy if grated coconut and cooked rice is ready.
The dish is very mild and light South Indian rice item and is made during the festivals like Pongal and Navratri.
Today let us learn how to make Coconut rice following these easy recipe.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Total time : 20 minutes
Servings : 2-3
Category : Rice dish, Lunch
Cuisine : South Indian
2 Cups cooked rice
1 Green chili, chopped
1 Tablespoon ginger, chopped
2 Teaspoons urad dal
3/4 Teaspoon mustard seeds
2- 3 Dried red chilies
1/2 Teaspoon asafoetida
2 Tablespoons grated coconut
2 Tablespoons cashews
1 Teaspoon ghee
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice for 10-15 minutes and cook adding 1 cup of boiling water for 1 whistle.
- Once cooked, fluff it with a fork. Spread and allow it to cool. The cooked grains should be separate.
- Finely chop ginger and green chilies.
- Heat the ghee in a small wok, add in the cashews and stir-fry until golden brown.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, when it splutters add urad dal.
- When dal slightly changes color, add green chilies, ginger, and asafoetida, curry leaves and red chilies. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add grated coconut and salt, sauté for a few minutes.
- Add in the cooked rice to the prepared coconut mix. Mix the cooked rice well with the coconut.
Sprinkle the cashews on top and serve hot with any gravy of your choice.