Bhindi is also called as okra / lady’s finger. Dahi bhindi is an easy and quick curry recipe prepared with yogurt.
This recipe goes well with hot roti or with simple steamed rice.
If you like bhindi then you should try this easy recipe. This is good change from usual Vendakka Thoran / Bhindi / Okra Stir – Fry With Coconut or Vendakka Mezhukkupuratti / Okra Or Bhindi Stir Fry or Bhindi Raita | Okra Raita and taste really yummy.
Here is the trick; the Bhindi is sautéed in oil till they are completely cooked. This technique also gets rid of the sliminess in the Bhindi. The gravy is then made and then the sautéed Bhindi are added to it and the end result is the soft succulent pieces of bhindi in smooth tangy gravy.
So let’s see how it’s prepared in a very simple way.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : North Indian
10-12 Bhindi okra or bhindi
2 Teaspoons oil
For the gravy:
1 Small onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic
3 Green chilies, slit
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1 Teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Cup thick yogurt, whisked smooth
2 Strands curry leaves
Pinch of asafoetida
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Wash the okras well; wipe it dry with a clean cloth. Then cut off the head and the tail and cut it into 1” to 1.5” pieces.
- In a pan add a tsp. of oil and fry chopped bhindis.
- Fry till bhindi is cooked from all sides and changes color to dark green. Remove and keep aside.
- In same pan heat oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When crackles put curry leaves.
- Add ginger, garlic, green chilies, onion, pinch of asafoetida and salt. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add spices like red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Sauté the masala on low flame.
- Then, add in the fried bhindi and give a good stir.
- Now switch off flame, add 1-cup yogurt and stir well.
- Close the lid and allow it sit for 5 minutes.
Serve dahi bhindi with hot steamed rice or roti.