This one is the very simple yet delicious and purely nadan Malabar recipe…It goes well with rice. If you cook and eat it once, will never forget the spicy aromatic taste. That is the magical touch and specialty of Kerala seafood cuisine and its preparation.
If you are looking for more prawns recipes Prawns Theeyal / Kerala style Chemmeen Theeyal, Kerala Style Prawns Roast / Chemmeen Ularthiyathu, Shrimp/ Prawns Fry – Kerala Style, Chettinad Prawns Masala, Chemmeen Curry / Prawns Curry Kerala Style and Prawns Ghee Roast.
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 40 minutes
Servings : 3 – 4
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala
1 Cup prawns or Chemmeen (shelled, deveined and washed)
1/2 Cup shallots
1 Small tomato
2-3 Green chilies, slit
1 Tablespoon ginger- garlic paste
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon coriander powder
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Tamarind pulp – Lemon size
Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
Salt to taste
For the paste:
2-3 Tablespoons desiccated coconut
1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
2 Garlic cloves
- Clean, devein and wash the prawns.
- Soak tamarind for 10 minutes, squeeze and extract the pulp.
- Heat a pan and add in the cumin seeds, curry leaves, garlic cloves, shallots, desiccated coconut and turmeric powder. Sauté for few minutes.
- In a mixer jar add in the prepared mixture then add 1/4 Cup water grind to a smooth paste the masala should be watery.
- In a mud pot, put coconut oil and fenugreek seeds.
- Add curry leaves, shallots, green chilies, ginger- garlic paste and salt. Sauté onions until transparent.
- Add tomatoes, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Cook all the ingredients till raw flavor has gone.
- Add in the prawns and mix well to coat the masala.
- Add 1 -2 tbsps. of water, close the lid and cook on medium flame for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tamarind pulp. Leave it open and cook for few more minutes.
- Now, its time to add in the coconut paste mix well and allow it to boil.
Switch off the flame and enjoy.