Here is my second prawns fry recipe in my blog. It is prepared with basic ingredients easily available in your kitchen. There are several different ways of making shrimp/prawns fry. This one is the very simple yet delicious and purely nadan recipe.
Enjoy this simple yet tasty prawn fry as much as we did!
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3 – 4
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala
1 Cup prawns or Chemmeen (shelled, deveined and washed)
1/2 Cup onion
2-3 Green chilies, slit
1 Tablespoon ginger- garlic, chopped
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon coriander powder
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Teaspoon tamarind pulp
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
Salt to taste
- Clean, devein and wash the prawns.
- Soak tamarind for 10 minutes, squeeze and extract the pulp.
- Heat coconut oil in a mud pot and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves, green chilies, ginger, garlic, onion and salt. Sauté onions until transparent.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Cook all the ingredients till raw flavor has gone.
- Add the prawns and mix well to coat the masala.
- Now add water, mix well and cover it with a lid. Let the prawns cook well.
- Add tamarind pulp. Leave it open and cook for few minutes until the water dries off.
- Prawns fry is ready to be served!