Lentil soup is a wholesome comforting soup and is very simple to prepare. You can use masoor dal or moong dal or a mix of both to prepare this soup.
This year, in keeping with my goal of eating more vegetarian dishes, I’ve naturally included a lot more soups in my diet.
Lets begin with the healthy and delicious soup….
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Soup
Cuisine : Comfort food
1 Cup split yellow moong dal, washed
1/2 Cup onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped garlic-ginger
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 Teaspoon red chili powder
Pinch of asafoetida
1 Teaspoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon oil
3 Cups water
Salt to taste
- Chop onion, garlic and ginger. Keep it ready.
- Rinse and drain the lentils a couple of times to wash off the dirt.
- Heat oil in a medium pot; add chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Sauté until onions turn transparent.
- Add in the split yellow Moong dal, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and water.
- Cook over medium high heat until it starts to boil. Remove the frothy foam that accumulates on the surface as the dal cooks.
- Bring the heat to medium and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until completely cooked.
- Blend the dal using a hand blender, put lemon juice and mix well.
- Now for the seasoning, heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add cumin seeds, when splutters put asafetida and turn off the heat.
- Pour mixture over the cooked soup.