Onion uthappam is a breakfast recipes that is similar to dosa, were onion and cilantro (coriander) are used for topping. Uthappam is made with slightly sour batter that is left over after making dosa on the previous days.
Uthappam is served with coconut chutney and sambar.
Today we will see how to prepare onion uthappam 🙂
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 40 minutes
Yields : 2 Uthappams
Category : Breakfast
Cuisine : South Indian
1 Cup Dosa batter
1 Small onion
3-4 Green chilies, finely chopped
1 Inch ginger, minced
2 Tablespoons cilantro (coriander), finely chopped
Oil for making uthappams
Salt to taste
- In a bowl combine onion, green chilies, ginger and cilantro. Sprinkle a little salt and mix it.
- Heat a tawa, add a drop of oil and rub it with half an onion.
- Once the tawa is heated well, bring the stove on medium flame and pour a ladle full of batter in the middle of the pan and spread in a circular motion. Do not spread it thin. Uthappams should be thick.
- After a minute, sprinkle the onion mixture all over the dosa. Gently press it with the dosa ladle or spatula.
- Drizzle oil around the dosa and top of the uthappam.
- Once the base is golden brown, flip the dosa to the other side.
- Drizzle a little oil on the other side also. Let it cook the other side. Once it is cooked, remove the dosa from the tawa.
Serve with coconut chutney and sambar.
You can sprinkle idli powder after you sprinkle onions for added taste and flavor.