Recipe of the week 🙂
Its again another year of winter in US, and it’s freezing cold outside so who really wants to be eating salad? So, thought of cooking something different today as it’s also my cheat day today. Yippee!!
Today I’m preparing poori and aloo; this is an awesome breakfast recipe. Spicy potato gravy is served with puffed, deep fried poori.
What are we waiting for? Lets begin
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 40 minutes
Total time : 60 minutes
Servings : 4-5
Category : Breakfast, Brunch
Cuisine : North Indian, Punjabi
Ingredients needed for aloo sabzi:
2 Large potatoes
1 Medium sized onion
3-4 Green chilies, slit
1 Small tomato
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon pepper powder
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 -2 Tablespoons oil
Salt to taste
For the poori:
2 Cups whole-wheat flour (atta)
1 Teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
1 Tablespoon of oil for dough + oil for deep-frying
Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes, wash and cut it into two half pieces and cut it into thin long slices.
- Slit green chilies, slice onion and tomato.
Preparation of aloo sabzi:
- Pressure-cook the sliced potatoes, onion, tomatoes, green chilies and salt for 4-5 whistles or until soft with just enough water.
- Now, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add in the cooked potatoes and pepper powder. Mix gently.
- Serve aloo sabzi hot with poori.
Preparation of poori:
- Knead the wheat flour, carom seeds and salt into stiff dough with water and oil.
- Cover the dough and let it sit for 15 minutes. After resting time knead the dough once again to smooth dough.
- Make small balls of the dough, roll into rounds having 4-5 inches diameter circle. It should not be too thin or too thick.
- Now take a deep frying pan add oil. Wait until oil is fuming. Bring the gas to medium heat.
- Now gently place poori and fry one by one. Give some pressure with the back of the spoon while frying poori. Fry from both sides and it should be light golden brown.
- Then remove it from the oil with a slotted ladle and serve hot. Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
- Serve hot poori with aloo sabzi.