Sabudana khichdi is prepared with roasted peanut. It is usually made during fasting days like Navratri or mahashivratri or ekadashi. This is one of the most popular Maharashtrian breakfast dish. The khichdi is loaded with carbohydrates and proteins as I am adding peanuts in it.
To make sabudana khichdi perfectly, you need to first soak sabudana well. Secondly, drain soaked sabudana well. If drained properly then it won’t be sticky at all.
So let’s start with today’s recipe…
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Serves : 2
Category : Breakfast, Vrat recipe
Cuisine : Maharashtrian Recipes
1 Cup sabudana
1/2 Cup roasted peanuts
2 Green chilies chopped
1 Teaspoon chopped ginger
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon ghee
Salt to taste
- Wash sabudana under running water till you get transparent water when rinsing. Soak them in enough water and leave it overnight.
- The next day, drain any excess water-using colander. It is very important to avoid stickiness of sabudana.
- Roast peanut on medium flame and remove the skin. Powder the roasted peanuts coarsely and keep it ready.
- Finely chop green chilies and ginger.
- In a bowl, mix together the soaked sabudana and coarsely grounded peanuts. Keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan, and add cumin seeds. When splutters put curry leaves and chopped ginger. Sauté for few seconds.
- Bring the flame to medium heat and add sabudana peanut mixture and salt. Mix gently and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft and transparent. Keep stirring, so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Soaking depends on the quality of the sabudana.
- Add just enough water about 1 inch above to soak sabudana.
- To check sabudana is soaked well, just press sabudana pearl between your fingers, it should mash easily.
- It should be drained properly to avoid stickiness.
- Do not overcook the sabudana, else it will become chewy and will stick each other.