Burgers are very popular street food in India. It is all time favorites for students and teenagers. These burgers are prepared with potato patties, which are usually deep-fried. You can alternatively shallow fry them in pan.
We add Indian spices to prepare the patties. You can use the same recipe to prepare aloo tikki and serve with green chutney. I have used fresh vegetables like tomato and lettuce. You can also add cucumbers, carrot and beetroot slices to make it healthier.
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 50 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Indian – fusion
Cuisine : Street food
For aloo tikki:
3 Medium size boiled and mashed potatoes
3/4 Cup fresh/ frozen green peas
2 Green chilies chopped
1 Small onion, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon chopped ginger
3 Tablespoons thick poha / beaten rice
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon cumin powder
1 Teaspoon mango powder
Bread crumbs as needed
Oil for shallow frying
Salt to taste
Buns and for the topping:
4 Burger buns
4 Cheese slices
1 Large tomato
1 Small onion
Few fresh lettuce leaves
- Pressure cook potato until soft. Once done, drain water and allow it to cool down, peel off the skin and mash it well without lumps.
- Finely chop onion, green chilies and ginger.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped green chilies, ginger, onion, sauté until transparent. Add green peas and sauté for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and mango powder. Sauté again for a minute.
- Add in the mashed potatoes, cilantro and salt. Mix altogether.
- Add some washed poha so that it absorbs extra moisture present in the aloo.
- Combine everything well and allow the mixture to cool completely before you make patties.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and make large patties out of it. Slightly press uniformly to make patties. Adjust the size according to the size of burger bun.
- Take breadcrumbs in a plate and coat it with the breadcrumbs. Slightly press the crumbs so it sticks to the patty.
- Do the same with the remaining patties.
- Heat oil for shallow frying. Place them carefully in the medium hot oil.
- When one side is golden, flip and fry the other side. Drain the patty on kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil.
For the aloo tikki burger:
- Take a large burger bun and cut them half horizontally.
- Now keep both the halves separately and apply green chutney on the inner side of the bottom bun.
- Place a lettuce over it and press. Keep 2 thick tomato slices also place few onion pieces.
- Place the prepared aloo tikki patty also place the cheese slice over the patty.
- Close the burger with top bun.
Serve aloo tikki burger immediately with some French fries and tomato ketchup or green chutney.