It is one of the easiest snack and can be prepared in a jiffy. Aloo tikki is a popular North Indian snack/chaat prepared with potatoes and other spices.
This is the mixture of boiled- mashed-spiced potatoes and green peas, which are made into the shape of patty, then shallow fried with oil.
Aloo tikki is a great evening snack or appetizer.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Yields : 8 Tikkies
Category : Appetizer, Snacks- chaat
Cuisine : North Indian
3 Medium size boiled and mashed potatoes
3/4 Cup fresh/ frozen green peas
2 Green chilies chopped
1 Small onion, finely chopped
1 Teaspoon chopped ginger
3 Tablespoons thick poha / beaten rice
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon cumin powder
1 Teaspoon mango powder
Bread crumbs as needed
Oil for shallow frying
Salt to taste
- Pressure cook potato until soft. Once done, drain water and allow it to cool down, peel off the skin and mash it well without lumps.
- Finely chop onion, green chilies and ginger.
- Heat oil, add green chilies, ginger and onion. Sauté until transparent. Add green peas and sauté for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder and mango powder. Sauté again for a minute.
- Add in the mashed potatoes, cilantro and salt. Mix altogether.
- Add some washed poha so that it absorbs extra moisture present in the aloo.
- Combine everything well and allow the mixture to cool completely before you make patties.
- Now take a handful of mixture and give a nice round shape. Slightly press uniformly to make patties.
- Coat the patties with bread crumbs.
- Heat a tawa and shallow fry both sides of the patties/discs by drizzling oil around the patties. Cook until both sides turn golden brown. You can shallow fry 4-5 patties at a time.
Serve hot with Green chutney or tomato ketchup.