Here is a very easy to make masoor dal recipe. Sabut masoor or red lentils cooked with aromatic whole spices and tomatoes to make wholesome gravy. I served this dal with steamed rice and pickle, which adds to the taste of the dal.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 25minutes
Servings : 3-4
Category : Main dish
Cuisine : North Indian
1 Cup whole masoor dal
1/2 Cup chopped onion
1 Small size tomato
2 Green chilies
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Rinse the masoor dal thoroughly, until water is clear.
- Finely chop tomatoes, onion, ginger and garlic. Slit green chilies.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and splutter cumin seeds. Add green chilies, ginger and garlic. Sauté for a minute or so.
- Add onion and salt. Sauté until transparent.
- Add in the tomatoes along with dry ingredients. Sauté and cook until mushy.
- Then, add in the masoor dal and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker, mix the contents and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.