This brinjal fry is a very simple dish, which goes well with both rice and chapati. It is a classic Bengali dish (when cooked in mustard oil), in which the brinjal pieces are mixed with all the spices and shallow fried. However I have prepared this dish by pan roasting brinjal slices in regular vegetable oil. Also the amount of oil used is relatively lesser. You can prepare it within 10-15 minutes and I often prepare it at home.
So let’s begin..
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 20 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : Bengali
1 Large brinjal
1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
Oil for shallow fry
Salt to taste
- Wash the brinjal well and pat dry. Cut the top stalk and slice the brinjal in 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Take turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and lemon juice in a bowl. Mix all the spices
- Transfer brinjal slices to it. Mix and toss well such that spice mix gets uniformly coated to each slice. Marinate for about 5-6 minutes.
- Heat a pan / tawa for roasting. Grease the tawa nicely.
- Place the brinjal slices on the tawa and drizzle oil. Cook on medium to low flame till both sides are cooked. Drizzle some more oil when you flip in between.
Serve baingan fry with steamed rice and dal.