Prawn ghee roast is a wonderful and most loved dish in Mangalore and Tamil Nadu. This Indian prawn ghee roast has a very distinct taste. Prawn ghee roast is also easy to prepare recipe. This prawn chukka is a perfect side dish if you’re hosting a lunch or dinner party. The key ingredient for this dish is ghee, which gives a rich taste and flavor to the dish.
Since Prawns are very delicate we need to cook them separately, If we cook the prawns with the masalas then the prawns will be over cooked and will turn rubbery and at the same time if we cook for less time then the masalas will stay raw, so to overcome this problems we are going to cook both the prawns and masalas separately.
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 40 minutes
Servings : 3 – 4
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : Mangalore, Tamilnadu, Coastal India
1/2 Kilo prawns (shelled, deveined and washed)
2-3 Garlic cloves
Tamarind pulp – Lemon size
Pinch of asafoetida
Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
1/4 Cup ghee
To dry roast:
3-4 Dried red chilies
1 Teaspoon peppercorns
1/4 Teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/4 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
To marinate prawns:
1/2 Cup yogurt
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
- Clean, devein and wash the prawns.
- Soak tamarind for 10 minutes, squeeze and extract the pulp.
- Dry roast the peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Once the spices stops to splutter add it to the grinder and grind to a powder format.
- Add the garlic with a splash of water and grind further to form a smooth paste.
- Marinate the prawns by adding the lemon juice, yogurt, chili powder, turmeric powder and salt to the prawns. Mix all the ingredients till well-combined cover and allow the prawn to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add asafoetida. Once it splutters add in the marinated prawns, bring the flame to medium, stir and fry for a minute.
- Next, drain and reserve the prawns.
- Add in the masala paste to the pan stir and fry till ghee surfaces on top.
- Add in the curry leaves and transfer the prawns back to the masala, toss and coat the prawns with masala and check for the salt. Add tamarind pulp mix and cook the prawns for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsps. of ghee toss and fry, allow it to dry.
Spicy prawns ghee roast is ready to serve.