Beetroot stir-fry is very easy to make with less time and less ingredients. Beetroot is rich in dietary fiber and has no cholesterol. As it is nutritious, it is good for your kids. It is good to include in our diet, I always use this in my daily salad. It is prepared in coconut oil, which is a healthy fat option.
I also prepare this mezhukkupuratti often in my house. It is a very simple stir-fry, which goes well with rice.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : South Indian ,Kerala
2 Cups beetroot, heaped
1 Small onion
2-3 Green chilies
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Wash, peel the skin and cut the beetroot lengthwise.
- Slit green chilies and finely slice onion. Keep it aside.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds. When splutters put curry leaves.
- Add onion, green chilies and salt. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add in beetroot and turmeric powder. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the lid and cook on a low flame until slightly cooked.
- Once cooked remove the lid and keep sautéing until all water evaporates completely. Cook till it is slightly crispy.
Serve as an accompaniment with rice.