Recipe of the week 🙂
Chole bhature is a very popular Punjabi dish. Chole bhature is a combination of chole and fried Indian bread. Chole is prepared with chickpeas and bhatura is a fried Indian bread made of all-purpose flour/maida.
Chole bhature is a spicy, tasty and a heavy dish. Each restaurants or dhabas have their own flavors and taste in the chole, but this one has a homely taste and flavor.
Chole bhature is very filling and quite heavy. Ideal for weekends or holiday time.
Let’s begin with chole bhature recipe following with these easy and simple steps.
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 45 minutes
Total time : 65 minutes
Servings : 3 -4
Category : Breakfast, Brunch
Cuisine : North Indian, Punjabi
Ingredients needed for bhatura:
2 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 Cup yogurt
Pinch of baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon of oil for dough + oil for deep-frying
Salt to taste
For the chole:
1 Cup chickpeas / Chana
1 Small chopped onion
1 Medium sized chopped tomato
1 Tablespoon minced ginger and garlic
2-3 Green chilies, slit
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Tablespoon chana masala powder
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 -2 Tablespoons oil
Salt to taste
Preparation of chole:
- Wash and soak chickpeas overnight. Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or until soft with just enough water to cover the chickpeas.
- Slit green chilies, mince ginger, garlic. Finely chop onion and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter cumin seeds. Then add green chilies, minced ginger and garlic. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onion, sauté until the onions are golden brown.
- Then add finely chopped tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, chana masala powder and needed salt. Cook for a few more minutes until the raw smell goes.
- Now add cooked chickpeas, cook and simmered for 10- 12 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Preparation of bhatura:
- In a bowl mix together all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, powdered sugar, needed salt and yogurt.
- Add warm water and knead into soft dough. Add 1-tablespoon oil and knead well. Cover it and set aside for 1 hour.
- After an hour – you can see your bhatura dough is ready. Knead the dough again and make small lemon sized balls out of it.
- Dust the ball with maida (all purpose flour) and roll it out into thin oval shaped (it should not be too thin).
- Now take a deep frying pan add oil. Wait until oil is fuming. Bring the gas to medium heat.
- Now gently place Bhaturas and fry one by one. Give some pressure with the back of the spoon while frying bhaturas. Fry from both sides and it should be light golden brown.
- Then remove it from the oil with a slotted ladle and serve hot with chole. Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.