The term “laccha” means rings in Punjabi, the dough is stretched, rolled in a way to form rings, resulting in layered paratha.
Laccha Paratha is a one of the type of layered flat breads made with whole-wheat flour and all-purpose flour, you can also prepare only with whole-wheat flour.
So let’s begin methi laccha paratha with easy steps..
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 40 minutes
Yields : 6 Laccha parathas
Category : Indian flat bread – Breakfast, Dinner
Cuisine : North Indian
1.5 Cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 Cup all purpose flour
1 Cup finely chopped methi (fenugreek) leaves
2-3 Chopped green chilies
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon ajwain seeds (carom seeds)
1 Teaspoon oil for dough
Oil or ghee for making parathas
Wheat flour for dusting
Water to knead the dough
Salt to taste
- In a bowl, take whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, green chilies, ajwain, cumin seeds, finely chopped fenugreek leaves, salt, oil and needed water. Bring the mixture together and knead into smooth soft dough. Grease your hands with a little oil and knead the dough well. Cover and keep the dough aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Knead again to smooth dough. Divide the prepared dough into equal parts and make lemon-sized balls out of it.
- Slightly flatten the ball, dust wheat flour and roll out into a 6” circle of medium thickness.
- Apply oil or ghee on the surface of the roti and spread it all over the roti with your fingers or with a brush.
- Sprinkle flour all over on top and spread it evenly.
- Fold the dough just as you fold a paper fan starting from one end to the other end.
- Once you finish folding, roll the folded and stretched dough from one end to the other. Seal the end on the top.
- Now, press the rolled dough slightly, dust very less flour and roll out into a round parathas of about 5 to 6 inches in diameter.
- Heat the tawa and place the paratha on the tawa.
- Turn the paratha when one side is partly cooked. Apply oil / ghee on this side. Cook for a minute.
- Now turn again and apply a little ghee/oil on the other side and cook both sides until golden brown specks appear.
- Remove from the tawa and put it in a serving plate.
- Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.
Serve the laccha paratha hot with pickle, raita or any Indian gravy of your choice.