A popular one-pot meal cooked in every Indian home and that is khichdi.
Khichdi is prepared with yellow moong dal. I have recently been experimenting with grains other than the usual white rice and wheat. I love this brown rice khichdi. It is full of nutrients and fiber. Oh! And also filling. 🙂
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Lunch, Comfort food
Cuisine : North Indian
1 Cup of brown rice
1/2 Cup moong dal
1 Medium chopped onion
1 Medium size carrot, chopped
1/4 Cup green peas
1/4 Cup french beans, chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger-garlic
2 Green chilies finely chopped
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin powder
1 Teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon oil
Pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste
- Wash brown rice and dal properly in running water.
- Finely chop onion, green chilies, carrot, french beans, garlic and ginger.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and add asafoetida, cumin seeds, chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add onion and salt. Sauté until translucent.
- Add chopped veggies along with red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and cumin powder. Sauté and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add in the rice and dal. Mix altogether.
- Then, add 4 cups of water, check for the salt. Close the cooker and pressure-cook for 15 minutes or for 5-6 whistles.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker and mix it gently.
- Serve hot drizzled with a teaspoon of ghee.