You remember last week I had posted chana dal recipe :-), this week I prepared chana dal with lauki, which I thought of posting it today.
Lauki chana dal curry is an easy and quick recipe and goes well with roti or also with steamed rice. I like this dish to be in a spicier side, that’s the reason I have added green chilies as well.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 35 minutes
Servings : 2- 3
Category : Main dish
Cuisine : North Indian
1/4 Cup chana dal
1.5 Cups lauki or bottle gourd
1 Medium size tomato
1/2 Cup chopped onion
2 -3 Green chilies slit
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 Teaspoon coriander powder
1/4 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Wash chana dal well in running water and soak the dal in enough water for an hour.
- Peel the skin and cut bottle gourd into medium cubes.
- Finely chop tomatoes, onion, ginger and garlic. Slit green chilies.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and put cumin seeds. When splutters, add ginger, garlic, green chilies and onion. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add in the tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and needed salt. Sauté and cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Then add in the bottle gourd, chana dal and mix well.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles on a medium flame.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker, mix the contents and simmer for 5-6 minutes. You can adjust the consistency of the gravy as preferred.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.