Recipe of the week 🙂
Just loved this weekend because after so long I prepared kappa / cassava, which took me to my childhood. Actually Dad used to grow tapioca / cassava/ kappa in our backyard and Mom used to prepare a different dish everyday. We had so many that we used to distribute it to our malayali friends.
This dish is very easy to prepare and is very delicious too. The toddy shops and houseboats back in Kerala are famous for serving delicious kappa puzhukku along with authentic spicy fish curry.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 10 minutes
Total time : 20 minutes
Servings : 3-4
Category : Brunch
Cuisine : Kerala
2 Medium cassava / tapioca root
Salt to taste
Water as required
1/2 Cup grated coconut
3 Green chilies
2-3 Garlic cloves
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
2-3 Dried red chilies
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- First remove the skin of the tapioca. You have to remove both the thin brown color skin and thick pink color skin. Then wash it properly and cut it into medium size pieces.
- Then cook the tapioca pieces by adding enough water, till the water starts to boil. Then drain the water and then again start cooking it by adding fresh water along with salt till the tapioca becomes soft. Once done, drain the water completely and keep it aside.
- Grind coarsely grated coconut, green chilies, garlic, shallots, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and curry leaves. No need to add water.
- Transfer the cooked tapioca root to a pan and keep it in a very low flame. This will help in removing excess water, even after draining.
- Mash tapioca root well, then add in the ground coconut mixture. Mix well along with the mashed tapioca and remove from the flame.
- Then for the seasoning, heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add curry leaves and dried red chilies and pour this to the cooked tapioca.
Enjoy kappa puzhukku with fish curry or chicken curry.