Recipe of the week 🙂
Tandoori chicken is one of the famous dishes in Indian chicken starter menu. This mouth watering delicious tandoori murg, marinated in a tenderizing mixture of yogurt, lemon juice and spices.
I have made this recipe in a very easy and simple restaurant style, but without using any red food dye. If you want to have your chicken bright red, feel free to add a bit of red food dye to the marinade.
You don’t need a tandoor oven to make tandoori chicken. You can cook it over a grill (charcoal preferred) or just in an oven.
I have not charred the meat, I suggest not to eat charred meat as it is dangerous to health. This tandoori chicken recipe yields spicy chicken drumsticks that are soft and juicy with all the flavors of spices infused. So what are we waiting for let’s begin 🙂
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 50 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Appetizer
Cuisine : Indian
4 Chicken drumsticks
1 Tablespoon red chili powder
1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Salt to taste
1/4 Cup thick yogurt
1 Tablespoon ginger- garlic paste
1 Teaspoon coriander powder
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon cumin powder
1 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1 Teaspoon kasuri methi/ dried fenugreek leaves
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper powder
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Wash drumsticks thoroughly under running water. Drain off the water completely and wipe them off with kitchen towel.
- Make 2 to 3 deep incisions into the meat to get marinated well from inside.
- In a bowl add red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and lemon juice. Coat the chicken drumsticks well, cover and set aside for at least 15-20 minutes, which helps to tenderize the meat.
- Whisk together yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, kasuri methi, salt and oil.
- Coat the chicken in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the grill for at least 10 minutes. Pick up the drumsticks and let the extra marinade drip off to the bowl. Place the chicken pieces on the hot side of the grill.
- Grill chicken until just cooked through; occasionally basting with oil last 2 minutes, about 12 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to platter.
- Top with onion and cilantro and serve.