Chana dal is also known as Bengal gram. The recipe is very simple and easy to prepare. You can also prepare with bottle gourd, since I didn’t have bottle gourd in my kitchen, so thought of preparing only with chana dal which came out really very delicious. But, very soon I will be posting it with bottle gourd :-).
Chana dal is healthy, filling and protein packed. Chana dal with steamed rice, brown rice or rotis, makes a complete meal.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 2- 3
Category : Main dish
Cuisine : North Indian
3/4 Cup chana dal
1 Small size tomato
1/2 Cup chopped onion
2 Green chilies slit
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger and garlic
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Rinse the chana dal well in running water and soak the dal in enough water for an hour.
- Finely chop tomatoes, onion, ginger and garlic. Slit green chilies.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and put cumin seeds. When it crackles add green chilies and onion. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic, sauté and cook till the raw smell is gone.
- Add in the tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and needed salt.
- Sauté and cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Then, add in the chana dal and mix well.
- Add 2.5 cups of water and pressure cook for 6-7 whistles.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker, mix the contents and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.