The dish is spicy based gravy that is finished with coconut milk to balance out the spiciness, which makes the dish so delicious. The coconut milk gives the dish rich flavor and enhances the spices.
If you do not like coconut milk you can absolutely skip that ingredient. You can enjoy this curry as egg masala too.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 5-6
Category : Main course
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala
6 Boiled eggs
1 Cup thick coconut milk
1 Cup sliced onion
2-3 Green chilies slit
1 Small sliced tomato
1 Tablespoon finely chopped ginger-garlic
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon coriander powder
1 Teaspoon garam masala
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
Salt to taste
- Place eggs in a vessel add 1/2 tsp. of salt and enough water to cover the eggs. Bring water to boil over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Drain the water, pour cold water over it and peel the shell. Perfect hard-boiled eggs are ready.
- Make slits on the top and bottom, keep it aside.
- Finely chop ginger and garlic, slit green chilies and slice onion and tomato.
- In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds, once it crackles put curry leaves. Add green chilies, ginger, garlic, onion and salt. Cook until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and cook until tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add in the coconut milk and garam masala powder. Mix everything well and allow it to boil.
- Then, add in the boiled eggs. Mix, cover it with the lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot and enjoy!