Egg biryani is the most delicious and flavorful dish that one can make at home with very few ingredients. Egg biryani is a great treat for egg lovers. It is very easy to make and does not take much of your time. The dish is made with basmati rice and boiled eggs with a delish blend of spices.
A simple raita like onion raita or a mint raita goes great with this.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 35 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Rice dish, Biryani
Cuisine : Indian
1.5 Cups rice
1 Large sliced onion
2 Green chilies
1 Tablespoon ginger- garlic paste
3 Tablespoons thick plain yogurt
Mint leaves – Fistful
Cilantro – Fistful
2 Tablespoons oil
Salt to taste
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1.5 Tablespoons coriander powder
1 Teaspoon garam masala
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
2 Tablespoons fried onion
1 Tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves
1 Tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely and cook until it is 80% done.
- Place eggs in a vessel add 1/2 tsp. of salt and enough water to cover the eggs. Bring water to boil over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Drain the water, pour cold water over it and peel the shell. Perfect hard-boiled eggs are ready.
- Heat oil in a pan and put little bit of turmeric powder and salt. Drop all the eggs, fry it till slightly change its color and keep aside.
- Cut onion lengthwise and keep it ready. Finely chop green chilies, mint and cilantro.
- Make a smooth paste of ginger and garlic.
- In a pan heat 1 tsp. of oil add 2 tbsps. of onion and fry till golden to make the barista. These onions are used for garnishing and they add flavor to the rice.
- In pan heat the remaining oil; add onion and salt to speed up the cooking, sauté until golden brown. Add ginger- garlic paste, chopped green chilies. Sauté it for a minute.
- Then, add in the red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Sauté until cooked, and add thick yogurt, chopped mint leaves, cilantro and lemon juice, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the fried eggs and mix all together, close the lid and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now, add in the cooked rice and mix everything together.
- You may add 2-3 tablespoons of water if you feel the need.
- Garnish with cilantro, mint and fried onions.