Stuffing a dosa with lightly cooked potatoes, onions, green chili and spices makes a masala dosa. Masala dosa is a famous recipe not only in India, but also in US. Masala dosa is also famous in our house J. Not only that it is on the menu list of many North Indian Specialty restaurants too.
For making dosa the batter has to be slightly thin. I have used parboiled rice, urad dal and poha (flattened rice). Poha makes the dosa crisp and also retain its softness.
Prep time : 30 minutes ( Excluding soaking)
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 50 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Breakfast
Cuisine : South Indian
Ingredients needed for masala dosa batter:
1 Cup parboiled rice
1 Cup regular rice
1/2 Cup whole urad dal
1/4 Cup poha / Flattened rice
1/4 Teaspoon methi/ fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste
Ingredients needed for the potato filling:
2 Large potatoes boiled and mashed
1 Small chopped onion
2 Chopped green chilies
1 Inch chopped ginger
1/4 Teaspoon urad dal
1/4 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
Oil for preparing dosa
- Wash and soak parboiled rice, regular rice, urad dal, poha and fenugreek seeds in enough water for 4 -5 hours.
- Grind everything together to a smooth texture by adding water. Add salt and mix well. Cover and leave it overnight to ferment.
Preparing the potato filling:
- Wash and pressure-cook potatoes for 3 whistles. After it cools, peel the skin and mash it well. Keep it aside.
- Chop onion, green chilies and ginger.
- In a pan heat oil and splutter mustard seeds and urad dal, when dal turns golden brown, add curry leaves, chopped ginger and green chilies. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add onion, salt and turmeric powder. Sauté until translucent.
- Now, add in the mashed potatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring well.
- Add in the cilantro, mix well and keep it aside.
Preparing the masala dosa:
- Grease a non-stick or iron tawa, add few drops of oil. Cut an onion into half and rub it all over the tawa.
- Once the tawa is heated, pour a ladle of batter in the center and spread it evenly in a circular shape.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of oil around the dosa and close it with a lid.
- Once the edges starts browning, reduce the heat, add 3 tablespoons of potato masala and fold the dosa from both sides.
- Remove from tawa and serve hot with chutney and sambar.
- Repeat making more on the hot tawa.