Dosa is a Crisp and thin pancake made of rice and urad dal batter. It is a famous South Indian dish and everybody’s favorite. Method of preparing batter is as same as idli batter. I like to have dosa hot and crisp, in my childhood I used to run to Mum for hot and crisp dosas and have it in the kitchen. You can roast your dosas using oil, ghee or sometimes butter too. Enjoy hot and crisp dosa with chutney and sambar.
Prep time : 1 Hour
Cooking time : 5 minutes per dosa
Servings : 4 – 5
Category : Breakfast
Cuisine : South Indian
3 Cups parboiled idli rice
1 Cup whole urad dal
1/2 Cup cooked rice
1 Teaspoon methi/ fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice, add enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 -5 hours.
- Soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds separately for 4-5 hours.
- Drain the water and grind dal by adding water from time to time to a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Grind the rice by adding cooked rice in batches to make a smooth batter.
- Mix both the batters together in a large container. Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and let the batter ferment for 8-9 hours or more if required.
Ingredients for making dosa:
- Dosa batter
- Half onion
- Sesame oil as needed
- Heat non-stick tawa/cast-iron tawa, grease it with oil. Cut an onion into half and rub it all over the tawa.
- Take a ladle of batter, pour it in the center of the tawa and spread it a circular motion.
- Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of oil around the dosa.
- When the corners start lifting up, flip the dosa to the other side, drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of oil and cook until done.
- Serve hot dosas in different ways rolled, folded or make it into a cone.
Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.