Ghee rice is a staple food in South India. Among all rice recipe, ghee rice is best due to its simple presentation and its heavenly taste. Spicy gravy goes best along with it. I have prepared egg curry as an accompaniment, which was a great combination.
Prep time : 5 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 20 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Rice dish
Cuisine : South Indian
1 Cup rice
1/2 Cup sliced onion
2 Green chilies
1 Teaspoon chopped ginger
7-8 Cashew nuts
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
2.5 Tablespoons ghee
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes. Drain the water completely and keep it aside.
- In a pan add ghee, fry cashews and raisins till lightly golden. Set them aside.
- To the same pan, add half of the onion and fry till golden to make the barista. These onions are used for garnishing and they add flavor to the rice.
- Now, heat pressure cooker and add ghee. Add cardamom and cloves fry it for a minute.
- Add in the chopped ginger, green chilies, remaining onion and salt. Sauté it for a minute.
- Add 1.5 cups of water. Allow it to boil.
- Once it boils add in the soaked rice and mix well. Close the lid and wait for the first whistle on a low flame.
- Turn off the flame, let the pressure cooker cools down completely.
- Garnish with cashews, raisins and fried onions.