Here is another traditional Kerala recipe called “mathanga kalan”. The dish is prepared using yogurt, coconut and mathanga (pumpkin). Kalan is very thick in consistency with very little gravy. Kalan is cooked for a long time till the gravy thickens.
Kalan is always a part of Onam Sadhya. Today let us prepare Kalan with some simple steps…
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : Kerala, South Indian
100 Gms pumpkin cubes
1 Cup yogurt
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper powder
Salt to taste
Water as needed
1/2 Cup grated coconut
2 Green chilies
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 Teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2 Dried red chilies
- Wash, discard the seeds and chop the yellow pumpkin into medium sized pieces.
- Grind grated coconut, cumin seeds and green chili together and keep it aside.
- Whisk yogurt and keep it ready.
- In a pan cook pumpkin with red chili powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder and salt by adding water.
- When it is cooked mash slightly. Add in the ground coconut mixture. Check salt if needed and allow it to boil.
- Lower the heat and add yogurt. Simmer and cook till it starts thickening.
- For the tempering, heat coconut oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds, then add dried red chilies and curry leaves. Pour this tempering to the prepared curry and mix well.