Here is another popular and healthy one pot meal recipe. Khichdi is prepared with rice, dal and some spices. When you do not have time to prepare any elaborate meals, but want something healthy, then Khichdi is a great option.
I usually prepare it with moong dal and the veggies that I have added in this khichdi are the mix of carrots, peas and French beans. However, you can add the vegetables of your choice like cauliflower, potatoes, bell peppers etc.
So lets begin with today’s healthy recipe
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 2
Category : Main course, Lunch
Cuisine : North Indian
1 Cup of any regular rice
1/2 Cup moong dal
1 medium onion sliced
1 Small tomato roughly chopped
1 Medium size carrot, chopped
1/4 Cup green peas
1/4 Cup French beans, chopped
1 Teaspoon chopped ginger
2 Slit green chilies
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon ghee
Pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice and dal for at least 30 minutes.
- Finely chop carrot, French beans, tomatoes and ginger. Slit green chilies and slice onion.
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee and add asafoetida, cumin seeds, chopped ginger and green chilies. Sauté for few seconds.
- Add onion and salt. Sauté until translucent.
- Then add tomatoes along with red chili powder and turmeric powder. Sauté and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots, French beans and green peas and mix well.
- Now, add in the soaked rice and dal. Sauté for few minutes.
- Then, add 4-5 cups of water, check for the salt. Close the cooker and pressure-cook for 15 minutes or for 4 whistles.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker and mix it gently.
- Serve vegetable masala khichdi hot drizzled with a teaspoon of ghee. Accompanied with a side veggie salad or pickle.