Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans and Kabuli chana. Channa Palak is very delicious, easy and is very healthy dish because of the combination of spinach and chickpeas. Chickpeas are a great source of protein and spinach is rich in iron.
First onion-tomato masala is cooked with spice powders in which chickpeas and spinach are added. This recipe goes well with roti’s or rice, which makes a complete meal.
Soaking time : 8 hours or overnight
Prep time : 10 minutes (excluding soaking time)
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : North Indian, Punjabi
1 Cup White Channa
3 Cups chopped spinach
1 Cup chopped onion
1 medium size chopped tomato
2-3 Green chilies
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger – garlic
0.5 Teaspoon turmeric powder
0.5 Teaspoon red chili powder
1 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1 Tablespoon Coriander powder
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the channa overnight and pressure cook channa with a little salt and turmeric powder in about 2 cups of water for 5-6 whistles. Channa should be soft.
- Finely chop onion, ginger, garlic, tomato and green chili.
- Rinse and chop the spinach/ palak leaves.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle asafoetida and cumin seeds, then add green chilies, chopped ginger-garlic and onion. Sauté till golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and all spice powders. Cook till oil separates.
- Now, add in the chopped spinach and mix well. Cover it with the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Then, add the cooked channa and mix all together. Add ½ cup of water and cook for a few minutes on medium flame until everything gets blended well with the masala. Check for the salt.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.
N ‘ joy!!