Kerala style mathanga curry is yet another very easy, delicious and also a healthy recipe.
Going straight into the recipe. First, the pumpkin is cooked and mashed, then coconut paste is added to them and simmered. Later to be tempered in coconut oil with some mustard, curry leaves. Coconut oil gives you the true authentic taste.
Mathanga curry tastes best with steamed rice.
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 35 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : Kerala, South Indian
1 Cup pumpkin cubes
2-3 Green chilies
Salt to taste
For the Paste:
1/2 Grated coconut
2 Green chilies
1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
2 Dried red chilies
- Wash, discard the seeds and chop the yellow pumpkin into medium sized pieces.
- Grind coconut, cumin seeds, shallots and green chili together and keep it aside.
- In a mud pot cook pumpkin, green chilies and salt by adding water.
- When it is cooked, slightly mash them and add the ground coconut mixture. Check salt if needed and allow it to boil.
- Then for the tempering, heat coconut oil in a pan, splutters mustard seeds, then add dried red chilies and curry leaves. Pour this tempering to the prepared curry and mix well.
Serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!