Ivy gourd is rich in beta-carotene and fiber. I love when kovakka is made in Kerala style. You can make a variety of dishes using kovakka. You can make kundroo curry, kundroo mezhukkupuratti or you can even put kundroo in sambar.
Let’s start with a very simple dish, which can be accompanied with steamed rice and simple dal.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala
250 Gms ivy gourd/ kovakka/ kundroo
Salt to taste
1 Small onion
2-3 Green chilies
1/4 Cup grated coconut
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Teaspoon coconut oil
- Wash, cut off the ends and slice kovakka thinly lengthwise and chop them in small pieces.
- Crush the ingredients given above and keep it aside.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, when splutters add curry leaves.
- Add in the chopped kovakka and salt. Sauté for few minutes.
- Keep the flame low and cover it with the lid. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add in the crushed mixture and mix slightly.
- Cook for another 5 minutes covering the lid on a low flame, stirring occasionally. Check for salt.
- Now, remove the lid and keep sautéing until all water evaporates completely and gets crunchy.
Serve with steamed rice and simple dal.