‘Ivy gourd’ is called ‘kundroo’ in Hindi and ‘kovakka’ in Malayalam. It is a good source of protein and fiber. It is really very quick to prepare. I remember in my childhood in my place had a backyard vegetable garden , where Kovakka/ ivy gourd was an evergreen item.
I miss a lot of things, wish I could get back my those days back.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : South Indian ,Kerala
200 Gms kovakka/ Ivy Gourd
1 Small onion
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For the seasoning:
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Wash ivy gourd, cut both the ends and discard it. Then cut it into thin rounds.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When crackles put curry leaves.
- Add onion, green chilies and salt. Sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add ivy gourd and turmeric powder. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover the lid and cook on a low flame until slightly cooked.
- Once cooked remove the lid and keep sautéing until all water evaporates completely. Cook till it changes color and is slightly crispy and serve.