Vendakka thoran has a wonderful flavor and taste so good. The aroma of okra with green chilies, coconut and onion is really amazing! And can be prepared with minimum ingredients. It is prepared quickly in not more than 15- 20 minutes.
Serve the Vendakka thoran along with steamed rice and sambar for a wholesome lunch.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Servings : 4
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala
Okra/ Vendakka – 12 to 15nos.
Salt to taste
2-3 Green chilies
2 Tablespoon grated coconut
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Teaspoon coconut oil
2 Dried red chilies
- Wash the Vendakka / Okra / Bhindi well in running water.
- Trim the edges of each of them and cut them into about half a cm wide rounds.
- Grind grated coconut, shallots, green chilies and turmeric powder to a coarse form in a mixer.
- Heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, then add dried red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add okra and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the ground mixture and salt. Sauté it well and cook for 5 minutes covering the lid on a low flame, stirring occasionally.
- Now, remove the lid and keep sautéing until all water evaporates completely and gets crunchy.
Serve with steamed rice and sambar.