Here is another traditional Kerala Thoran. Bitter Gourd is known as Pavakka in Malayalam and karela in Hindi.
It is also used as a medicine for diabetics. Bitter gourd can be used to prepare variety of dishes. The grated coconut in Thoran reduces the bitterness of the dish.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Servings : 3
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : South Indian, Kerala
1 Big bitter gourd
2-3 Green chilies
1/4 Cup grated coconut
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 Teaspoon mustard seeds
1 Teaspoon coconut oil
- Wash the bitter gourd and slice it open. Discard the seeds and pith. Slice the bitter gourd into small thin pieces.
- Thinly slice the shallots and green chilies.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, when splutters add curry leaves.
- Add green chilies, shallots and salt. Sauté until transparent.
- Add in the bitter gourd and turmeric powder, sauté for few minutes.
- Now, add in the grated coconut, mix all together and cook for 5 minutes covering the lid on a low flame, stirring occasionally.
- Now, remove the lid and keep sautéing until all water evaporates completely and gets crunchy.
Serve with steam rice, dal and pickle. A perfect combination.