Vegetable kofta curry is an exotic Indian gravy dish that comprises of two parts Kofta and the curry. The Koftas which are basically balls made out of mashed vegetables and spices that are fried and then added to a tangy, creamy and spicy onion tomato base curry. You can choose to add vegetables of your choice.
This dish can be served with Rice, Roti or Naan etc. You can also serve these fried vegetable koftas as an appetizer for your parties.
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Total time : 45 minutes
Yields : 11 koftas
Category : Side dish
Cuisine : North Indian
Ingredients needed to prepare Koftas:
2 Cups mixed vegetable ( beans, carrots, green peas)
2 Medium potatoes boiled and mashed
2-3 Green chilies finely chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger
1/2 Cup breadcrumbs
1/2 Teaspoon red chili powder
Salt to taste
Oil for frying Koftas
Ingredients needed for the gravy:
1 Inch cinnamon stick
1 Bay leaf
1 Big onion chopped
1/2 Cup tomato puree
1 Tablespoon chopped ginger–garlic
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
1 Teaspoon red chili powder
1/4 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 Teaspoon cumin powder
1 Tablespoon coriander powder
1/2 Teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 Cup fresh cream
1 Tablespoon oil
- Pressure cook potatoes for 4 whistles or until soft. Once it cools down , peel the skin and mash it well.
- Boil the vegetables or pressure cook vegetables for 2 whistles. Put the vegetables in a muslin cloth and squeeze out all excess water. You can use that water/stock for the gravy later.
- Finely chop ginger, garlic, green chilies and onion.
- In a bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, boiled vegetables, green chilies, ginger, red chili powder, salt and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture equally and make balls.
- Heat oil and fry the Koftas on medium heat until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain them on a paper towel. Keep it aside.
How to prepare the gravy:
- In a pan heat oil and add cumin seeds, when it splutters add cardamoms, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Sauté for few minutes.
- Add in the ginger – garlic. Sauté for few more minutes.
- Add onions and salt. Sauté until translucent.
- Now, add the pureed tomato, turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and cook until tomatoes become mushy.
- If you find the mixture is too dry, then add 2 tablespoon of vegetable stock and allow it to cool.
- Once it cools, blend it to a fine paste.
- Again, heat pan and add in the ground paste and cook for few minutes.
- Do not waste the paste if any left in the blender, add 1 cup of vegetable stock and fresh cream. Bring it to a boil on a low flame.
- Add the koftas gently and switch off the flame.
Add koftas only at the time of serving